Feature Sports Stories
- Published on Thursday, 13 December 2012 11:01 13 December 2012
- Written by A.J. Mike Smith A.J. Mike Smith
Five Players Sent Packing after loss to U of A squad
Team Canada has trimmed their World Junior selection camp roster by five on Dec. 12, following a 4-1 loss to the University of Alberta Golden Bears men's hockey team yesterday afternoon at the Markin MacPhail Centre.
Among the cuts were three forwards and two defensemen.
Adam Pelech, D Club Team: Erie Otters (OHL)
Drafted: New York Islanders 2012 3rd Round Pick (65th overall)
- Published on Wednesday, 12 December 2012 14:25 12 December 2012
- Written by April Lamb April Lamb
A lesson about motocross
A visually exciting, and physically demanding sport, Motocross is becoming increasingly popular in Alberta. Motocross clubs are expanding across Alberta, covering every area from Whitecourt to Taber.
A local club, the Second Gear Motorcycle Club, is a non-profit society, boasting over 300 members. The volunteer-based club promotes both amateur off-road motorcycling and ATV events.
- Published on Wednesday, 12 December 2012 13:55 12 December 2012
- Written by Lucas Silva Lucas Silva
Dumba and Shinkaruk show solid effort in first selection camp game
Mathew Dumba and Hunter Shinkaruk are two of the hopeful players trying out for a spot to compete in the 2013 IIHF U20 World Championship. Team Canada's selection camp started Dec. 11, and ends on Dec. 13 at WinSport's Markin Macphail Centre in northwest Calgary.
Shinkaruk, 18, is a forward for the Medicine Hat Tigers, and is participating in his first World Junior selection camp as a draft-eligible player.
- Published on Tuesday, 11 December 2012 19:05 11 December 2012
- Written by Matt Laurin, AJ Mike Smith Matt Laurin, AJ Mike Smith
Team Canada loses championship game 1-0
Team U.S.A. will head into the new year as reigning sledge hockey champions, after beating Team Canada 1 – 0 in the gold medal game at the 2012 World Sledge Hockey Challenge on Dec. 8.
After falling to the Canadians 2 – 0 earlier in the tournament, the Americans spoiled the Canadian team's hopes of capturing gold in front of their home crowd in Calgary.