Male dancers hope to instill faith in aspiring young men
In a small room lined with mirrors and wooden barres, young feet sashay across the floor preparing to pirouette and plié at any given moment.
Notes play from the piano — cues for the nascent dancers who are dressed in tight leotards and pale pink slippers.
- Published on Friday, 13 April 2012 11:27
- Written by Conor Mahoney
Jamming old time blues: A way to meet new people
The Foothills Bluegrass Society is a community of Calgary musicians who share a collective passion for Bluegrass, old time country, western, jazz and folk music.
On Thursday night, during one of the group's jam sessions at the Irish Cultural Society in Bowness, a group of about 15 members sat in a circle with their guitars and belted out old time Bluegrass songs in unison.
- Published on Friday, 13 April 2012 10:59
- Written by Kian Sumalpong
Jonny Linton hopes competition will help him cultivate new skills
Taking part in his third dance competition, 17-year-old Jonny Linton, won the popping category in the fifth annual One Touch hip-hop competition in February.
With another contest on its way, the dancer will compete at the Calgary Battlezone Vol. 1, Calgary's first all-ages popping competition.
- Published on Friday, 13 April 2012 10:49
- Written by Haleigh Packer and Pamela Di Pinto
Sign Theatre a 'natural way' of expression for deaf and hard of hearing participants
It's a Friday night at Calgary's Deaf and Hard of Hearing Society.
A characteristically quiet place, tonight the odd stomp, claps, and howl of laughter breaks the silence.
- Published on Friday, 13 April 2012 10:27
- Written by HANNAH KOST
Julie Mortensen shares the passion that drives her career
Julie Mortensen is laughing with her head of red curls thrown back - as she does often and easily - while remembering a story from her childhood that seemed to foreshadow her career as a Calgary actor.
- Adventurers’ tales: National Geographic Live in Calgary
- Rhythm and flavour of Latin American music diffuses in Calgary
- Artistic trio takes portraits of dreamscape
- Alberta Election 2012: Provincial candidates gather to discuss arts in Alberta
- U of C theatre student aims to ‘move’ younger audiences
- Bringing flamenco to Calgary