Arts and Entertainment
- Written by Casey Richardson and Kaeliegh Allan Casey Richardson and Kaeliegh Allan
- Published: 16 February 2017 16 February 2017
Mulan, the main character from the Disney movie of the same name, walks onto the stage wearing traditional men’s Chinese clothing.
She begins singing about the delicate qualities of Chinese girls. But she’s not like them. She’s no geisha — because that’s Japanese. She realizes she’s the only Disney princess “without the guy,” and maybe that’s all because she’s a lesbian who wants to do things her own way.
- Written by Colin Macgillivray Colin Macgillivray
- Published: 14 February 2017 14 February 2017
A Dungeons and Dragons inspired mockumentary. A monumental and prodigious battle between palaeontologists, creationists, and the absurdly named Sharkasaurus. A straightforward bounty hunter taking on hordes of the undead. A documentary about beer. The list of unique short films coming from the deviant mind of Calgary filmmaker, Spencer Estabrooks, 42, goes on and on. His passion for film has grown tenfold since leaving his full-time job at Acmeworks Digital Film Inc. in 2015 to pursue a full-time filmmaking career.
- Written by Sam Nar, Ingrid Ho Sam Nar, Ingrid Ho
- Published: 02 February 2017 02 February 2017
According to the Alzheimer’s Society of Canada, more than 500,000 Canadians are either diagnosed or living with Alzheimer’s but many Canadians don’t know much about it. That’s why the University of Calgary recently hosted a screening and Q&A to help raise awareness.